Citizen Initiatives, Referenda & Charter Amendments
- Citizens Initiative Petition Guide: An Information Resource for Citizens (PDF)
- This document is provided to the members of the public for informational and guidance purposes only. Persons desiring to become involved in the citizen initiative petition process should refer to the City Charter and the Seattle Municipal Code for specific requirements.
- Citizens Referenda Guide (PDF)
- This document is provided to the members of the public for informational purposes only. Persons desiring to become involved in the citizen referendum process should refer to the City Charter, the Seattle Municipal Code (SMC) and/or the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) for specific requirements.
- City of Seattle Referendum FAQ (pdf format, 38Kb)
- City Charter Amendment Petition Guide (PDF)
These guidelines are currently under review to ensure the summary provided is clear and concise. Please contact the City Clerk for any additional procedural assistance at (206) 684-8361 or Monica.Simmons@seattle.gov.
Citizen Initiatives, Referenda & Charter History
- Citizen initiatives and referenda are filed with the City Clerk. You can search the Clerk Files database for initiatives, referenda, and related records filed with the Clerk.
- See the Seattle Municipal Archives history of ballot initiatives for a comprehensive history of citizen initiatives, from the year 1910 up through the most recent initiative measures.